Sunday, September 16, 2007

The Four Winds

I've noticed an interesting trend among my peers. We all seem to be scattering to the four winds temporarily. At least ten of my friends from the USA have taken jobs/courses in foreign countries, including Japan, Thailand, and Mexico. None of these are supposed to be permanent positions, we're all supposed to return after a year or two.

What does this say about us? At first one might be tempted to say that we don't like our hometowns, or state, or America, and want to get as far away as possible. However, that is certainly not my reason and I don't think it is a very significant reason for any of my pals. Sometimes we say Logan/Ohio/America is so backwards we can't stand it, but I doubt we'll really find anything better anywhere else. Different sure. I guess we're all just upper middle class kids enjoying the playground that is globetrotting, to put it harshly. Or are we dissatisfied with something and trying to seek it elsewhere? Will we find it? I just wanted to be paid to study crayfish...

No comments: