Monday, March 3, 2008

like a train in the night, like a train in the .......NIGHT!

Last week I went to help the new PhD student with some fieldwork.
This is a pond, in an undisclosed location. We had this little inflatable dinghy to paddle around in to take samples and depth measurements. It was alot of fun, even though it was very windy and hard to steer the tiny craft.

There was a train track running right alongside, and several freight trains went by while we worked. I waved at them. One of them waved back, another tooted the train-horn! so cool.

This past weekend I finished up a round of crayfish behavior experiments. I mean behaviour. Here's number Six, enjoying a brief foray into the lighted portion of the chamber.


In other news, I'm watching my pal's dogs again, a rollicking good time will be had I am sure.

2 comments:

Soontar Cerulien said...

I like how the crayfish has a little number six painted on him like a racecar or something. You should have a "behavioral experiment" where you race them and people can place bets.

Also, trains are really cool, even freight trains - it's great that the drivers were friendly and greeted you.

Emilz said...

Yeah, I felt like I was famous. Not just some wretched bio student out in a nasty pond. LOL

Yes, they all get numbers. And we ARE doing crayfish races for a kid's science demo in April...