Monday, January 28, 2008

River Wharfe, a river of death and blood!

Today I returned to field duty for the first time since my arrival back in the UK.
(pic not related, ha ha ha)
I was only doing my water chemistry sampling, the actual crayfish come later in the week, but the 'water run' is fun because I get to see my whole stretch of the river in one day. There was a very large flood event recently, so I was eager to see if there was anything interesting left by the high waters. I was not disappointed. At my second site, there was, up in a tree, about 5 feet above the current water level, a dead sheep.

an entire, adult, dead sheep. amusingly, there were live sheep in the field just behind it, so at first I thought it was just grazing at an odd angle.

otherwise it was an uneventful trip, except for the bloody handprint on the farm gate. and something else really cool I can't remember. too bad.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

EW a dead sheep!!! also where did you get the crayfish pattern?

Eric said...

Wow, a whole dead sheep IN A TREE, and a bloody handprint! Wish I were there.

Emilz said...

I made the crayfish pattern myself. the obsession is boundless. like my capacity for bourbon cream biscuits.

Soontar Cerulien said...

Pic not related you say?! A dead sheep and a bloody handprint - you're lucky you didn't find a dead man or two! Oh, and you should requisition a submarine for you field duty, and have dozens of Imperial Officers at your command! HAaha!