Saturday, June 23, 2012

May travels

My recent, brief trip to England can be summed up with the following text message exchange:

Friend A: "...so how was the beach?"
Friend B: "Beach was chilly but good, thanks.  Emily borrowed a coat from Mandy and filled the pockets with rotting crab body parts so we had to partially hang her coat out of the car window all the way home to air it out.  It was fun :)"
Friend A: "Oh good, glad you got out for some fresh air."

Also, if you are reading this and you enjoy pickled walnuts, well, I have a little present for you!

And now for some photos:

This is the coat with the crab parts inside the pockets.


Observe this adorable colony of guinea pigs.  I miss having some piggies around, they are the cute alternative to a compost heap.


 And now two funny chicken pictures:



When I returned, my garden had survived and grown.  Unfortunately I do not have a "before" picture, but here you can see some bush beans (in the back), peppers (on the left), lettuces (in the clay tubes), and a sweet potato (on the mound).  

 
 Here are some more lettuces.  The lattice overhead is to protect them from the searing and merciless Missouri sunshine.


Did you think I could let a post go by without a picture of The Pie?  Actually, it is a picture of my little pot of English thyme and flowers.


I grew some marigolds from seed and put them in the front porch window boxes.  When I returned they were just starting to bloom a little.


No comments: