Saturday, October 31, 2009

Chocolate-covered bacon

Yesterday I finally accomplished my goal of making chocolate-covered bacon. Will it taste good? Will the chocolate coat the bacon properly? These were the questions I sought to answer. So, without further ado, here is how it all went down:

I started with a pack of unsmoked thin cut streaky rindless bacon rashers, also known in America as 'bacon.'


I carefully laid out the bacon in the pan so it would remain flat as it cooked.


As the bacon cooked to a very fine crisp, I put the chocolate on the stove to heat up. More on the chocolate later. You can see the bacon is getting very shriveled and crispy - I figured this would be the best state for it to be in to receive the melted chocolate.


Inquiring minds:


Finally the bacon was all done, although two of the pieces ended up not being totally crisp so I just ate them. The others I patted with a paper towel to remove excess grease, and let them sit for a few minutes to cool while the chocolate melted.


I used plain old Cadbury milk chocolate, and melted it in a glass cup sat in a pan of water. I had purchased four bars of it, but only ended up using one...


Once the chocolate was thoroughly melted, it was time for dipping! The chocolate was still quite thick, maybe it wasn't hot enough? I'm not sure. So after dipping each piece I had to wipe a bit of chocolate off on the side of the glass lest it be too chocolaty. Also I broke each piece of bacon in half before dipping, as the chocolate was not deep enough to cover much of a full-size piece.


Here are the freshly dipped bacon pieces, placed on a tray covered in kitchen foil, also known in America as aluminum foil:


After I dipped them all, I placed the tray in the fridge to cool. Here they are after cooling (and after a few pieces have been eaten, heh heh heh):


The chocolate cooled and stuck to the bacon perfectly. As for the eating experience, it was VERY GOOD. It tasted very much like one of those Take 5 candy bars, actually. Mmmmmmmm. Highly successful endeavor!

2 comments:

Soontar Cerulien said...

Zomg. I want to eat some now. You should make a bacon-choco candy bar for sale in stores.

SOLARA said...

I didn't know you're that good at cooking! Ummm yum! *stares at her together with her dogs*